Thursday, November 25, 2010

My New Pace Partners

I couldn't run in the morning last Tuesday so I decided to run in the evening. I asked two of my buddies at work if they wanted to run after work. They confirmed, then I told them to invite others. The truth was, I invited only the two of them because I believe I could easily pace with them with the little amount of endurance I have built for weeks. Some of my work buddies are real runners, like Ice who I just featured weeks ago. They would literally feed me the dust off their shoes if I paced with them. Good thing is that they run in the morning. 


By night time, there were just four of us who were gonna run. Dax, one of my buddies who confirmed, brought a female friend who wants to run too, named Choy. The other one was my best bud at work, Dale. Dax is pretty much fit, unlike me. He's got a regular fitness regimen, enrolled in one of the nearby gyms at his place, and plays basketball a lot. There's no wonder he's gonna leave me behind, but that's the good thing about it. The more I run with this guy, the more my body will try to adapt to the amount of work needed. Dale, on the other hand, is a huge guy. He's more than 6 feet tall, weighs more than 200lbs, and goes to the same gym as Dax. Now what got me is that Dale, with all that extra weight, can run more than I could. That just goes to show how unfit I've really been. It's disappointing, yet challenging. I know I'm gonna outrun them both someday, but not anytime soon. 


After the run, I asked them to run again on Thursday and they confirmed. We invited other people, a lot of people confirmed, but the same people showed up Thursday night. It's okay though, but I haven't recovered well by Thursday due to lack of sleep. Dale, having recovered from the last run, well, outran me. But that's all okay. It's part of training. 


By the way, this is where we run:
Now don't be fooled by the short distance. The route has wicked elevations. Just two rounds of running this route and we're usually zapped of all energy. I have the whole long weekend to recover. Probably an LSD run on Sunday morning and that's it. My left ankle still hurts right now aside from my stubborn shin splints. Hope to be fully recovered by Tuesday night because we'll be running again, hopefully with more people to join us. 


Keep running, guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment