Sunday, November 21, 2010

Building Base Stamina

This morning was the first time I actually timed my run. According to the clock on my cellphone and a little mental calculation, I can only continuously run for about 34 minutes. Here's what I covered during my run this morning.


I covered barely 4 kilometers in 34 minutes and pretty much ran-walked the remaining distance. What's good is that I felt better this morning when I was running compared to my previous runs. I felt stronger. It felt great and I'm gonna be doing this every Sunday morning. I'm just gonna do short runs and speed works during weekdays since time is a luxury for me on days I have to work.


Here are a few observations I made during my run:
1. I need to rehydrate every 25 minutes of running. When I reached the 30th minute of my run, my throat was as dry as the road and I felt that my knees weren't moving as fluidly as the 15th minute. So I guess I need to bring hydration next week.
2. My shins are stronger. Shin splints don't bother me as much anymore. Thanks to the exercise I discovered at takbo.ph, which was designed to prevent or lessen shin splints. 
3. I've definitely improved and I plan to continue improving. 


For now, I plan to condition my body to run continuously for an hour. Then I'll incorporate more speed training in my workouts while continually building my stamina. I might join a 5k race soon. Runner Speak promised me a free registration on one of the races here in Metro Manila. That's gonna be awesome! Keep running, guys! 

2 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention that sunscreen is just about as important as hydration unless you want to sport a two-toned complexion (i.e. fairer on clothed parts) :D yes, keep running. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Angel oh right! :D use sunscreen or run shirtless. :D

    ReplyDelete