Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Simulation

My first race is fast approaching and I must say I'm excited despite my lack of preparation. I can easily run 5k nowadays but I still don't know how I will fair on a 10k route. But I've been meaning to run 10k as part of my training and see how I'll do so I know what to expect. The thing is it's only less than two weeks before my race and I might risk injuring myself if I don't do things right. Or even if I do make it in my own 10k route, I don't know if a week is enough for me to recover for the real race. Whether I'm gonna do the simulation or not, I still don't know. But anyway, I just wanna show you guys my planned route.
If you're familiar with the area, you can imagine what obstacles I might encounter in this route. The first kilometer will be a bit downhill that ends in a steep uphill. This is good because it kind of simulates the ramp at the Skyway. Then the third to fourth kilometer will have busy areas where I might need to dodge people loitering around. I might also encounter some hecklers who are not used to seeing runners around their area. Maybe I'll speed up my pace around that area to get it out of the way quickly. Then I have rolling hills along the fifth and sixth kilometer. Still, kind of like how the Skyway is. Then the rest of the route will give me just little unnoticeable elevations but a bit of a busy area again along the 7th kilometer. 


Running at night is NOT an option as I may end up with my shoes and phone missing or with something sharp stuck on my side or on my back. I think it's best to take this route at daybreak where there is less people and vehicles, except maybe at the busy areas where the markets are. But it's a good route considering the elevations and terrain. 


I still don't know if I'm seriously gonna consider running this route. If not before the race, maybe some time after the race when I'm fully recovered. I'm still building my stamina base up to now and I honestly still don't know whether I can survive the 10k race at the Condura Run on February 6. My real objective in that race is simply to just finish the race without walking or stopping. I don't care how long I'm gonna finish the race. Finishing the race is all I care about. That finisher's medal is gonna mean a lot to me once I cross that finish line. I pray that the Lord will provide me with enough energy and protection from injuries on race day. 


If you're running the Condura Run too, then we'll just see each other there. Hopefully have still have the breath to cheer each other on. Next post will be post-race insights. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment