Friday, October 22, 2010

The Shin Splints

Since the start of this year, my shins get sore every after I run. At first I thought it would eventually go away but it gets worse when I run while it's still sore. After googling thoroughly, I learned that they're called Shin Splints. 

According to wikipedia:

Shin splints is a general medical term denoting medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), a slow healing and painful condition in the shins, usually caused by exercise such as running, jumping, dancing or other sports.[1][2] Ten to fifteen percent of running injuries are shin splints.[3]


Now I don't know what's causing it. It could be my running technique, but a year or two ago I don't get this condition after a run. So I think I only have two culprits to what's causing the said condition. One, it could be the added weight I've been carrying around. It'll take me months to eliminate that factor so I'll go to the next culprit. Two, it could be my shoes. They're worn out, the cushioning is probably deformed, and for all I know I could be using a pair of shoes that's not right for me. This factor is highly modifiable, obviously, so I really need to get a new pair of shoes soon to get back on track. 

I'll probably go to RUNNR tomorrow or on Monday to finally get my feet assessment and gait analysis so that I'll know which shoes to buy. Stay tuned. I'll let you guys see what I bought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment