Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running as a Lifestyle

Today, I've decided to make running a part of my life. It has been actually for quite some time, but now I want to take it seriously.

Eight years ago, I was 20 and running was just a part of my routine to keep myself healthy and fit. Truth is, the reason why I kept myself fit was because of the aesthetic aspect of being fit. I was young and single and I wanted to look good. So aside from weight training, I ran to keep my bodyfat low.

Years went by and I took up boxing as a sport. It was fun because I'm a fight fan myself. Part of training in boxing was running to keep my stamina at an optimum level. After a few years, I lost focus on keeping myself fit because of work demands and workplace proximity. I drove to and from work for at least 3 hours a day and I was usually too tired to box or run before or after work. Needless to say, I packed a few pounds. From 170lbs, I got to 180lbs.

A year after, I got married and I didn't have time anymore to keep boxing regularly. I boxed only maybe once or twice a month and my eating habits worsened. Another year and our awesome firstborn arrived. My priorities changed again and I forgot about what it's like to be fit.

Here I am now, 28 years old and 210lbs. Today I received my annual physical exam results and it turns out I'm Level 1 Obese. I've never been so unhealthy in my life. This made me decide that I should start changing my lifestyle seriously if I want to live longer to see my son get married and have children.

The thing is, I always knew what to do to get fit again, but what's missing is that discipline and self-control that I used to have to keep me in the right direction. I ran last Sunday and I realized how unfit I've really been. I couldn't run continuously to cover long distances and I easily gassed out when I run fast. It's sad yet it gives me more fuel for this newfound passion to get fit again.

Why I chose running to be my main tool to get fit again? It's not because it's a growing fad here in the Philippines. Running is easy. It's not too costly. All you need is a good pair of running shoes and you're good to go. It even gives you time to be with yourself. Plus, it's also one sport I can easily do with my wife. There are a whole lot of other good reasons that are too obvious for me to enumerate but to sum it all up, running is a good way to keep pushing myself towards my goal.

In this blog, I'll be recording my progress, the places where I will run, the people that I meet, stuff that I learn, and a whole lot of other things that has anything to do with my brand new passion for running. I hope some people could even find a bit of encouragement reading my blog.

This will be all for now. Updates will be at least once a week. Stay tuned and keep running.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate! When we were back in Manila, I usually jog. We (me and my parents) jog (they walk) in Sacred Heart on weekends. That's my way to keep fit.

    Then when we got here, we'll you saw me in July, I gained weight. I think around 10lbs since Manila. It's been so hard to keep the lbs off here, with the climate and the food serving.

    We have been enrolled in a gym since last year and it helps in keeping the pounds off but I need to get back to my pre-US weight. Hehe. Currently we're on a no-carbs diet and I go to the 5 times a week. Hopefully by June next year, I'm skinny again (need to look great, not just good, on the gown).

    So goodluck to us and here's to a better health! (link me up, i'll add you on my bloglist as well)

    ReplyDelete